I made a seven pound ham for us last weekend.
needless to say, that was a bit too much ham for two people, even if I’ve been nibbling at the leftovers by eating scalloped potatoes with ham bits for breakfast (best. breakfast. ever.)
I made these hand pies today to deal with some of the leftovers. I’ll be making a broccoli/ham pottage with the rest, so stay tuned for that recipe.
makes 8 pies that are great for carry-away breakfasts/lunches or snacks to share with a friend. not light. this is not diet food.
what you need:
- 1.5 c cooked smoked ham, diced
- 1.5 c leek greens, chopped
- 4 cups spinach, chopped
- 4 cups cheese, grated (my recommendations are cheddar, Monterrey jack, Swiss, Gouda, some combination thereof)
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 pkg puff pastry
what you do:
- mix all of the above, except the puff pastry, in a large bowl.
- preheat oven to 400.
- line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- roll out puff pastry into 10 x 10 inch sheets (1 package should give you two sheets).
- cut sheets in half, so they’re 5 x 10 inches.
- place a good handful of the ham/cheese/leek/spinach mixture on half of a strip.
- fold the “nude” part of the strip over to cover the filling and seal the side edges.
- add a little more filling through the unsealed edge.
- seal the edge that has not yet been sealed.
- place on parchment-lined baking sheet.
- repeat seven more times until you have 8 pies.
- bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown.
- let rest a good 10 minutes before serving.